Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Turn a coffee table into a DIY Tufted Ottoman for under $100.00

Pottery Barn is selling a simialar tufted ottman for $499.99 and honestly I think its kinda ugly Sooooooooo I fell in love with the idea of having a Tufted Ottoman BUT I am not spending $500.00. I figured Im crafty I am going to make one.This is how it all began....



Okay, this was my first furniture DIY project. I found a coffee table on Craigs list for only $35.00 (SCORE) heavy, solid wood! Next I went to Hobby Lobby and used my 40% off coupon for my material (on sale $12.99 yard X2 yards= $25.98). Also Hobby Lobby had a 50% off sale on their high density foam. I bought 2 inch thick foam to cover the top surface of my table. Next, I bought 2" batting fabric for $ 6.00 ( also 50% off), buttons ($8.00), thread ($6.00). I picked up some gold nail heads ($6.99), stain ($5.99), satin finish ($5.00) and sample red paint ($4.00) from Home Depot.


This is the before pic of my $35.00 solid wood table. I already stained the legs before I decided to blog my experience :)


After sanding, staining, and distressing it was time to map put my diamond pattern for tufting. I referred to this website, SUPER HELPFUL! http://blog.addicted2decorating.com/2010/08/how-to-make-diamond-tufted-upholstered.html. Next I drilled holes where I measured. Then added the foam, batting fabric, and my final material. Next I used a large needle and went from the back and attached my buttons on the tufting areas. Once that was done I stapled my material to the sides and underneath the table. The last step was adding the gold nail heads on the outline of my coffee table. I decided to add this little extra flare because A: Its cute and B: I needed to cover up the staples holding my material to the table.



Leg detail with cappuccino stain, satin finish and red paint to distress corners and areas where the wood didn't pick up the stain 100%.



Tufting detail. I measured in 6" from the edges and spread each button 8" apart. I used the diamond pattern...
4 holes on row 1
3 holes row 2
4 holes row 3
3 holes row 4
ect...


THINGS I WOULD DO DIFFERENT!
1. I tried to be more natural and sand off the previous finish by hand with sand paper. I recommend using the liquid sander. Inside the curves and crevices it was impossible to sand it completely. Therefore my stain didn't take evenly that is why I had to add the red distressing.
2. Use a wood filler if you are going to stain to ensure the stain applies evenly.
3.Get a 2nd pair of hands to push the tufted buttons down while securing the string to the back.
4. Applied to batting fabric to the sides of the table. I just put it on the top.
5. Have a glass of wine occasionally because this was a tedious project but well worth the time and effort.

2 comments:

  1. Wow this is soooo cool!
    I love it.
    Your's is so much better than Pottery Barn's.
    I love your stuff. Keep posting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, I have many more projects lined up....stay tuned :)

    ReplyDelete